I admit it, I am a fan of local marketing. Why? In my experience over several clients, it can provide the highest quality of lead. Moreover, it’s getting to a stage now that the quantity of leads coming through local marketing is on par with other forms of marketing – due to the rise of Google Business.
Why else do I like it? It’s free!
I have a client who was paying $4500 per year for a local marketing group. My advice was: sack the group, take your partner out for a slap up dinner and pocket the rest.
I hear you asking, wont their new leads drop off dramatically? My answer is an emphatic NO!
Local marketing (free) can be whittled down to 7 priceless words: “Can I please have a Google review?”
Having a variety of good quality reviews from good quality sources will help push you up the rankings.
”Local marketing (free) can be whittled down to 7 priceless words: “Can I please have a Google review?”
- Go into Google and google your business. What comes up? If you have been around a while, chances are that your business is already there and is “unclaimed”. If not you can register a new business.
- Claim or register your business and fill out EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING. Don’t wait a day, month, year because it won’t happen. Fill out EVERYTHING. Opening hours, logo, photos, description (ie why your customers choose you and not someone else.) EVERYTHING.
- Google thinks Australia still has horse drawn carriages, so once you have submitted your profile, you have to wait for the postman. Within around 2 weeks (usually sooner) you will receive a letter from Google with a code. Go back into your profile and verify your business with this code
- This may unlock a few more areas that you can fill in. Double check and fill in EVERYTHING. Note, I have often seen a bug in Google Business that repeatedly asks for a logo even though you have submitted one.
- Remember the 7 priceless words above. Google Business even makes it easy for you by giving you a clickable link that you can copy and send to your clients.
- Update you profile to keep it current. This could mean adding hours (or non hours) for upcoming public holidays. Or the addition of a new product. Or service. Or write a post about something new in the industry.
Google Business is probably the most untapped resource as a media channel. What comes up first when you search Google? The local map. Use this to your advantage to get a step up on your competition.